fbpx Skip to main content

Proving your income when you’re self-employed and looking to get a mortgage can be a lot of hassle.  It’s an unfortunate fact that there is no single way to do this in the sense that different lenders will ask for different methods to prove your income.  There are many ways to prove your income for mortgage providers, including supplying accounts, income proof and an accountant reference. However, they will need to be prepared by a specialist accountant that deals with self-employed or director applications. At least one years proof of income is sometimes requested by mortgage providers so that they can see if a borrower has a viable business and will be able to pay off their mortgage. Once they’ve assessed your income, they will then likely ask questions about the future of your business. Income can be based on salary plus dividend or salary plus net profits after corporation tax. This will help them to decide whether you’ll earn enough money in the future to continue paying your mortgage. If you often do your own self-assessment and the revenue calculate what you’ve earned and what you owe, then you may use an SA302 form. This form shows the tax you have due, and total income received. More and more mortgage providers are requesting this form, such as; Nationwide, Lloyds Bank, Natwest, and Halifax. This is because the SA302 form is the most effective proof of income that can be accessed. The HMRC have all of the necessary information on their records. There is no need for supplying accounts or accountant references with this form. It also gives mortgage providers piece of mind, as borrowers can’t exaggerate their earnings to get a mortgage secured.